Rui is an interdisciplinary artist who primarily works in the fields of sculpture and new media. She grew up in Beijing and worked as a furniture designer there before moves to Chicago, where she completed an MFA degree in Art and Technology Studies at the School of Art Institute of Chicago.
- Beijing University of Technology - B.F.A.
- The School of the Art Institute of Chicago - M.F.A.
Sculpture, new media
- A Poem Left Untitled, SITE Gallery, Chicago, IL - 2019
- The Materiality of Everyday, CICA Museum, Gimpo, Korea - 2019
- Connect, Slate Art + Performance, Chicago, IL - 2019
- Body Language, Kresl Art Center, St. Joseph, MI - 2019
- If We Could Turn Back (Real) Time, Elastic Art, Chicago, IL - 2018
Other interests and inspirations:
Her works usually engage with videos featuring the sounds of nature and objects fabricated in wood, fabric, and other.
- Posthuman: New Media Art 2020, CICA Press - 2019
- Emergency INDEX, Vol.8, Ugly Duckling Press - 2019
Rui's teaching style:
She believes that it is essential to know how to use various tools in order to reach goals efficiently. Her classes offer different ways of approaching the same result, which can help students to overcome technical obstacles on their own. Students can then spend more time on their ideas and concepts.
Rui loves EAC because . . .
It offers courses in a lot of different fields, making it easier to build a community and exchange ideas with others.