Youth Fine Art (YFA) Teaching Artist
Evanston Art Center (EAC) is looking for teaching artists with experience teaching children and intergenerational visual artmaking classes to join our Youth Fine Arts (YFA) faculty!
EAC is dedicated to fostering the appreciation and expression of the arts among diverse audiences by offering extensive and innovative instruction in broad areas of artistic endeavor through classes, exhibitions, interactive arts activities and community outreach. Formed in 1929 through the efforts of over 20 civic and cultural leaders to establish a non-profit arts agency, EAC has become an integral part of Evanston’s vibrant community by providing outlets for creative expression and innovative ideas.
EAC’s goal is to provide opportunities to experience the arts in new ways and make them easily accessible to all people who wish to make art a part of their life. EAC serves youth and adults ranging in age from 3–95 years old in the Evanston, Northshore and Chicago-metro areas. YFA classes encompass a wide range of areas to engage the diversified interests of our community’s youth, including painting and drawing, ceramics, fashion design, filmmaking, digital media, photography, and woodworking.
EAC offers competitive hourly pay, professional development and artist opportunities, and flexibility.
Skills & Qualifications:
Evanston Art Center’s YFA teaching artists:
· Have experience developing lesson plans, artmaking projects and activities appropriate for kids of different ages and skill levels
· Are comfortable working in different media
· Exhibit strong classroom management and communication skills
· Possess an ability to manage and facilitate groups of kids
· Are excited to share and teach their creative talents
· Use email regularly, at least every two business days
· Have at least one year of experience as a teaching artist/educator/youth worker
· Are comfortable collaborating with another teacher, teen teaching assistant, as well as working alone
· Are familiar teaching kids with and without disabilities
Email your resume and 2-3 sentences in the body of your email about why you're interested in applying for this position to: Christena Gunther, Director of Education: CGunther@EvanstonArtCenter.org. Put “YFA Teaching Artist” in the subject line.
Qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview. No phone calls please.
EAC Summer Camp 2019
As part of the Evanston Art Center (EAC) Youth Fine Art (YFA) team, the Teaching Assistant (TA) plays an integral role in helping summer camps and programs run as efficiently as possible. We are looking for energetic, adaptable, self-starters to assist our teaching artists in facilitating educational and engaging art activities for our campers. TA’s are assigned to one camp and teacher per week, and report to the YFA Coordinator and the Director of Education. Summer Camp 2019 runs for 12 weeks beginning June 4, 2019.
TA’s are responsible:
- for assisting our YFA teaching artists in preparing materials for camps
- assisting in camper check-in and check-out each day
- maintaining organization of art supplies
- maintaining general cleanliness of classrooms
- cleaning art tools and classrooms at the end of each day
- assisting campers in executing art projects
- help manage classroom behavior
- ensuring safety of campers inside and outside on the Art Center.
TA’s are often juniors or seniors in high school or college students who:
- are comfortable working with children ages 4-14, and who have demonstrated previous experience working with or chaperoning children younger than age 12
- have some familiarity with art-making and a willingness to learn
- must themselves be at least 15 years of age
- are able to work a MINIMUM of 8 full weeks (Monday through Friday) of morning or afternoon shifts during the summer
- TA’s are independent contractors paid hourly, working either morning shifts (8:30am to 12:30pm) or afternoon shifts (12-4pm) Monday-Friday.
- Each TA is expected to work 20 hours a week, for a minimum of 8 weeks.
Send a resume and 2-3 sentences explaining your interest in the position in the email body to Director of Education Christena Gunther CGunther@evanstonartcenter.orgwith “Summer Camp TA” in the subject line. No phone calls please.