Karen has combined her love of art and writing into a calligraphy career spanning over three decades. She is also a painter and Process artist, certified as a Facilitator in Process Art. A long-time meditator, she intertwines contemplative and mindfulness practices with her art instruction.
- Northwestern University ÔÇô M.A. in English Literature
- Illinois State University ÔÇô B.A. in Fine Art
Pen and ink, watercolor, oils, acrylics
Areas of focus:
Calligraphy, intuitive (process) painting
- ÔÇ£Evanston Made,ÔÇØ Evanston Art Center, Evanston, IL ÔÇô June 2018
- ÔÇ£EAC Faculty Show,ÔÇØ Evanston Art Center, Evanston, IL ÔÇô January 2017
- ÔÇ£OSP at EAC,ÔÇØ Evanston Art Center, Evanston, IL ÔÇô June 2016
- ÔÇ£No Comment,ÔÇØ Open Studio Project, Evanston, IL ÔÇô August 2015
- ÔÇ£Winter ShowÔÇØ, Gallery 1633, Chicago, IL ÔÇô January 1996
Other interests and inspirations:
Meditation, energy work, aromatherapy
- My Helpful Healing Touch, A Guide To Empowering Children, pub. Healing Touch Program ÔÇô 2009
- My Reiki Tool Kit ÔÇô 2005
KarenÔÇÖs teaching style:
She values the meditative, intuitive, and flow-like experience and mindset that calligraphy and other artistic expression makes accessible to all of us. She encourages students to cultivate the contemplative nature of this ancient art form, emphasizing the service of scribes as guardians in the continuum of culture.
Karen loves EAC because . . .
Newcomers to various mediums and those who are already adept at their medium all find a stimulating and encouraging place to stretch their knowledge and sharpen their abilities.