Barbara is a visual artist with a focus on figurative sculpture. She has created large-scale commission work and exhibited in galleries throughout the Midwest. She also has artwork in private, corporate, and museum collections.
- University of Illinois - B.F.A.
- The Art Institute of Chicago - Certification for Collection, Care and Maintenance of Art
Cast concrete, stoneware clay with steel, cast paper, bronze
Areas of focus:
Barbara's sculpture is usually figurative or organic in form. She focuses on simplification, filtering out the inessential. She concentrates on both positive and negative shapes to create an abstraction of reality.
- Koehnline Museum of Art, Oakton Community College, Des Plaines, IL - 2012-2018
- Rockford Art Museum, Rockford, IL - 2003, 2003, 2016
- "Implements of War," Chicago Cultural Center, Chicago, IL - 2013
- Large-scale outdoors sculpture, Highland Park Art Center, Highland Park, IL - 1996
- "Spread My Wings," Northshore Sculpture Park, Skokie, IL - 1993
- Art sales and rental gallery, The Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, IL - 1979-1986
Other interests and inspirations:
She has been on the board of the Skokie Northshore Sculpture Park since 1994, where she sites park sculptures and facilitates sculpture programs for local schools. She has also been an art curator at the Noyes Cultural Art Center for over 30 years as well as other venues.
- The Chicago Tribune
- The Reader
- Pioneer Press
Barbara's teaching style:
She believes in working with students individually at whatever competence level is receptive to them. She encourages them to seek beyond the classroom by showing art books and encouraging them to enjoy various gallery and museum exhibits
Barbara loves EAC because . . .
It is a great and safe place to teach, with clean and brightly illuminated rooms. The staff is top-notch, and the exhibits of art from both students and established artists is important.