Raeleen resides in a studio apartment in Chicago with a Charles Brand etching press, one red tabby, and too many plants. Her work is an analysis of women’s body politics which are strongly rooted in personal health complications and research of historical and contemporary issues in women’s health.
University of Wisconsin, Madison – B.F.A
Drawing, etching, woodcutting
Areas of focus:
Contemporary figurative drawing, multi-plate etching, reduction and oversized woodcut, graphite drawing
- "Exchanging Glances: Raeleen Kao and Zach Mory,” Frank Juarez Gallery, Milwaukee, WI – 2018
- "Awagami International Miniature Print Exhibition,” Awagami’s Hall of Awa Japanese Handmade Paper Museum, Tokushima, Japan – 2017
- "Hair Club: Raeleen Kao and Fred Stonehouse,” Tory Folliard Gallery, Milwaukee, WI – 2017
- "Sleeping with Ashes" (solo), Bert Green Fine Art, Chicago, IL – 2015
- "Inhospitable" (solo), International Museum of Surgical Science, Chicago, IL – 2013-2014
Other interests and inspirations:
She is an amateur competitive eater and doting cat mom.
- “Cut and Sown” at Firecat Projects, “GO Guide: Best Art Galleries in Chicago This Month,” Chicago Magazine – February 2016
- Art in Print – 2013-2014
- “Discovering Collagraph Prints,” Printed Editions – 2014
Raeleen’s teaching style:
Her goal as a teacher is to push her students to develop techniques and aesthetic decisions that enhance the strongest aspects of their work. She caters her instruction to each student's specific goals and varying levels of experience, from growing confidence in an unfamiliar medium to honing techniques and producing a strong body of work.
Raeleen loves EAC because . . .
The printmaking studio is one of the best community print shops and the class sizes ensure that each student can receive ample one-on-one instruction. The students are enthusiastic individuals who are not afraid of challenges and demonstrate a persistent willingness to learn new techniques. They have a genuine interest in their classmates’ work and offer feedback in a supportive environment.